Carbon monoxide can be fatal to humans if exposed to high levels. Carbon monoxide monitoring is crucial as it is diffused with air easily and replaces oxygen. Check out our range of carbon monoxide monitors to avoid hazards.
Quantum scientific Ltd enables you to keep your industries running smoothly with the strategic placement of gas monitors and sensors to detect Carbon Monoxide levels accurately. Let us help safeguard your worksite.
Commercial Uses of Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide is a crucial industrial chemical. It is widely used as a fuel in industrial operations in the form of producer gas or water gas.
The gas is also used as a reducing agent. b carbon monoxide passes through hot iron oxides, the oxides are reduced to metallic iron, while the carbon monoxide is oxidised to carbon dioxide.
Other industries that use Carbon monoxide include:
- The Iron and metal works industry use CO to reduce metal ores to make pure metal
- Carbon monoxide is used to make semiconductors used in various electrical applications
- Pharmaceutical manufacturing
- The synthesis of biotechnology products and research
The Effect of High Concentrations of CO
Inhaling high concentrations of carbon monoxide replaces oxygen in the blood, depriving the heart, brain, and other vital organs of oxygen. CO poisoning can happen rapidly and without warning, causing you to lose consciousness and suffocate.
Initial symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include headaches light,, drowsiness, or nausea. Symptoms such as vomiting, confusion, and collapse, as well as loss of consciousness and muscle weakness, may worsen with prolonged or high exposures. Symptoms can be greatly different from one person to the next. CO poisoning is also particularly dangerous for developing foetuses.
Who Is At Risk Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
- Welders and other technicians who use flammable gases
- Boiler room and automobile mechanics
- Workers at chemical plants
- Oil rig and refinery personnel
- Diesel engine operators in ships and other large vessels
- Tunnel workers and miners
- Other personnel working in confined spaces